[3830] ARRL 160 N8II Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 8 14:57:17 EST 2008

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV

Total:  QSOs = 912  Sections = 70  Countries = 24  Total Score = 183,018

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Wow, what great activity! SS, CQWW CW, and ARRL 160 all seem to have found new
contester blood this year!  Great news, but oh the QRM! I had to work during
the daylight hours and not make a big mistake which might be costly to
someone's health, so long hours were just not possible. Having very low
expectations I decided to work on some antennas Friday afternoon involving
repair and improving the 75M vertical; it still works about the same:( It was
2308Z by the time I was able to fire up after dinner with the family, picked
off the DX in the window and a few big guns then it was off to the best run of
my 33 year contest career on 1812 kHz. It was runner's nirvana, like a trip to
the Caribbean without the expense! The average rate was just about 150 for over
 3-1/2 hours until a break at 0250Z, best clock hour was 157 in 00Z hour. I was
pleased with being able to keep the callers managed pretty well and worked
quickly and stopped to "QRZ DX" when I heard a weak one buried under the
stateside callers. About 10 or so EU called in including GJ4CQU, OE3, 9A2, and
E77DX. Also calling in were FM5CD and FM5BH, FY5FY, HK1X and about 4-5 others
to the south. Saturday night, my best hour was 93 at 00Z. The stations seemed
to call in waves, busy for a few minutes then calling CQ over a minute with no
takers.

Stateside activity was just phenominal with an incredible record number of
callers from MN and ON. It reminds me of the comedy movie "Airplane" and "Throw
every light on that runway you can!"; it was "Throw every signal on 160 you
can!" for MWA and CCO. PVRC made a great showing as well. Top QSO's per section
were: MN-51, OH-51, VA-50, ON-43, IL-40, MI-38, IN-32, TN-32. This contest may
have contributed to further economic downturn, no Christmas shopping allowed
during the contest, Hi!

I didn't have much luck finding rare sections during the small periods when I
S&P'ed except did find a QRM buried KH6LC at dawn Saturday. Missed AB, AK, ID,
LAX, MB, ND (heard calling another USA in DX window), NT, PR, and WY. Condx
didn't sound that great to the west coast/Rocky mountain area either night but
EU was pretty loud the first 4 hours.

There were a lot of USA/VE stations operating in the DX window; please do
everyone a favor and don't work these guys. Then they will get the idea.

Staying up all night has never been my cup of tea, but I'll try and be back for
longer if I can next year. I've never really pushed this contest too hard; it
was a personal best score for me. Thanks to all the guys and gals who tuned
around and called in.