[3830] ARRL 160 K0DXC Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Dec 11 18:38:33 EST 2008

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K0DXC
Operator(s): K0DXC
Station: K0DXC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH

Total:  QSOs = 707  Sections = 62  Countries = 4  Total Score = 88,040

The contest was great! It was my first 160 meter contest. While I have been
contesting for about a year now I did not have a 160 antenna at this time last
year. Anyways, I started the contest about an hour and a half late and then
quickly spent the first half hour searching and pouncing. I was about to try
and find a run frequency when I realized I was logging everything in my ARRL
RTTY contest log!!!!!!! OH NO!!!!!!! I was using N1MM for the first time ever
so I then spent the next hour trying to figure out how to import the ADIF file
to my "ARRL160" contest log in N1MM. Finally, I just gave up. I was wasting
precious evening time and everything looked hopeless. If I called you and I was
a dupe, this explains it. I felt like a complete idiot calling stations that I
knew I had already worked, but I had to or else they wouldn't have been in my
log. One station actually just told me he wouldn't work me again and then CQ'ed
in my face. By the way, the ARRL
RTTY log was a bust. I never actually participated in the contest as I couldn't
figure out how to get RTTY working.

The new IC-756PROIII REALLY helped a LOT! The 706MKIIG only has one filter
setting..... 500hz! With the PROIII I was able to slip in between a few runners
and start one of my own! The DSP is also top notch, I do not have any receive
antennas so I needed all the help I could get. My 160 antenna is an Alpha-Delta
DX-B sloper up about 35 feet sloping southeast towards 4 land and the
Carribeans. I find that it does not work to well with DX, but most people in 4
land and the east coast will tell me I am 20 over.... I must be doing something
right! Some people report that I am also "loud" in Illinois, Minnesota, Kansas,
and other states in that area but anything farther west then that and working
me is literally like ESP!!! I worked two 7 stations in 7 land the whole
contest! I congragulate both of them on being able to hear me. N6RK and others
simply "CQ'ed in my face"!

In the begininning, my goal was to make 500 QSO's. I passed that early into the
second night so I upped my goal to 700 QSO's. Eventually, around 1 o'clock in
the morning I passed this mark, and then simply went to bed because my mom made
a big deal of reminding me we had family pictures tomorrow morning so I thought
I may as well try not to look like a zombie. That would bring back good
memories 15 years from now!

I spent most of the contest running. Or at least I was trying to run. My best
actual 60 minute rate was 84 an hour that lasted for 60 minutes. However, I can
sustain rates if there are stations callign me. I worked four to five stations
in a minute multiple times, whenever possible in fact.

During my "running' time I also duked it out with a few other stations in the
vicinity. Many times others tried to take my frequency and my competitive
streak took over and I "fought" them off. By the way, K0MPH, sorry for "moving"
you off my frequency. I had the frequency all secured and then I either click on
something on the computer or hit something on the PROIII and the radio suddenly
moved itself 50kc off frequency! I quickly tuned back and found you moving in
so I simply resumed my run. I apologize to all for my wild and sometimes
aggressive style of running stations. I have to be with my antenna. Hopefully
next year I have a receive antenna and some other TX antennas to choose from.

I worked many Minnesota and Illinois stations, but the winning section was
Ohio! I think I logged over 70 of them! It was nice hearing everyone on.

GL in the next one! I'll be back next year!

73,
Cal, K0DXC