[3830] ARRL 10 W0YK SO CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 14 13:41:28 EST 2008

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W0YK
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: W0YK

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: CA

   CW:  211    26
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  211    26  Total Score = 21,840

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Maybe ten meters really is dead.  There were so few contacts that each one was a
joyous occasion, many resulting in a sip of wine, keeping me stone sober
throughout the contest.  Never have I appreciated each QSO as much as this
weekend.  Thank you all, especially those who struggled through my noise floor.
 Missed many of the (very short) spotlight openings as I just got on
sporadically.  Worked mostly CA, a few from each of the 7-area states, VE5-7
plus CO & ND.  Saturday morning there was a direct connection into Montana and
VE5 with seemingly every licensed ham in Montana.  Also, three ZLs called in,
one quite strong.  Sunday morning a few VE3s, the mid-west and east coast made
it through and a very loud KD0S was heard S&Ping but not caught by me.  Heard
other locals working call areas that were completely inaudible for me.  Then
around 18z a pile-up actually developed for a while with stations calling in
from coast to coast except for the south.  Unfortunately I had to shut down for
a work engagement ... of course.

Pre-amp on, both RF and AF Gains at maximum and most signals were in the noise
floor except for local LOS stations.  Dual receivers worked great for S&Ping
simultaneous with running, perfect for single-band contesting.  Most of the
time I drove two Yagis, one NE and one SE.

35 years ago, 2500-3000 QSOs and a million points were available in the
10-Meter Contest from Colorado.  Hope those conditions return some day.

Ed - W0YK