[3830] ARRL 10 W5TAF M/S LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 14 15:51:29 EST 2008

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W5TAF
Operator(s): W5TAF
Station: W5TAF

Class: M/S LP
QTH: OK

   CW:  87     26
  SSB:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  87     26  Total Score = 9,048

This weekend was the first time I have operated in the ARRL 10M contest. I
decided to build a 10M yagi for the contest and spent all day Friday and part
of Saturday constructing it. I used YagiCAD to optimize the antenna and had it
up in the air on Saturday night. Problem was, the band was dead and static
noise was S7 and above. This morning around 7am, same thing but then around
10am, things got interesting. The band opened up to the Northeast (which was
the direction I pointed thte beam) and I worked all of 2-land, 3-land and many
from Connecticut. Then, the band went dead again for about 20 minutes. Well,
from what I can tell from this weekend's ops, 10M is an exciting band, even
without good propagation. As a plus, I also heard and worked LU1HF, my only DX.
I hope to operate again next year and use my new yagi to its full extent.