[3830] ARRL 10 W0BH SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 15 11:38:31 EST 2008

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: KS

   CW:  324    44
  SSB:  438    40
-------------------
Total:  762    84  Total Score = 182,448

My main goal this weekend was to work MT, WY, and AK on 10m SSB to almost finish
out 6BWAS on both CW and SSB using LOTW. K07X came through for me in WY, and
K7BG called back in on CW for a second QSY to SSB to finally get through after
the first attempt faded into the background (true of many Saturday Qs!). Heard
nothing further northwest than WA and SK (and only a few), so AK will have to
wait for another day.  I'd already LOTW confirmed 10m MS on both modes, but
when WQ5L called in, he was kind enough to try 15m SSB to catch another one for
me. Down to 9 contacts left (four on 160m SSB).

Saturday was really hard work .. 8 hours / 81 Qs and I'm pretty sure I didn't
miss an opening.  Sunday morning started out with actual signals to be worked
and suddenly exploded with 5 hours of fun as I went from 200 to 650 Qs. Even
the last two hours added another 100 Qs (compared to 8 Qs total in 2005-2007
combined.

It was also fun to follow the band around with most of the action east until a
nice run of TX, NM, MN, and CO on Sunday evening. I didn't turn my antennas
much because we had furious 35-40mph winds both days with up to 50mph gusts.  I
was often surprised by a VA or GA coming in loud off the back of the beam, but
the few times I turned back that direction on Sunday evening, I got no further
Qs until I turned back west.  My only DX stations were a lone PY and several
XE.  Overall, missed AK, HI, ND, SD, IA, AR, and all of 1-land except CT. Only
VEs worked were SK, ON, QC.

Hope everyone has a happy holiday season. THANKS to all for the Qs in 2008!

73, Bob, w0bh