[3830] ARRL 10 N3BB SO CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 15 12:24:29 EST 2008

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Austin

   CW:  115    21
  SSB:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  115    21  Total Score = 460

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I got on Saturday to look for the locals. My first five contacts were K5NA,
NX5M, N5ZK, W5ZL, K5GM, and W5ESE, the last pounding out lonely CQs QRP
from Dripping Springs. So N5TW and W5GAI are not the only "almost certified
lunatics" in the world!!

Sunday I came back at 1800Z and found a band that was alive. I started
tuning at the bottom and then settled in and indulged my favorite contest
activity of calling CQ and "hearing the world turn." In this case, hearing
the ten meter spotlight move around. I made 55 contacts in the next half
hour, then came back on in another half hour and made another 55 in the
following twenty minutes. I was fresh meat, so that was not difficult.

Looking at the state multipliers, I got nothing as far as W1, but got one
NY, so it was close. The band was open to W6 and W7 nicely. I heard no
South Americans.

Running around in the mobile this weekend, I listened to an unusual radio
station: K5NA, the "new voice of Texas," as Richard worked stations which
made nary a peep on my set in the car. Every once in a while, while his
rate was bad, I would pop on the frequency like a lid and say "hi" or "BB"
or some nonsense just to interrupt his reading material.

Nice numbers from K5NA and NX5M as usual.