[3830] ARRL 10 VK8AA(VK2CZ) SO SSB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 15 19:32:20 EST 2008

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VK8AA
Operator(s): VK2CZ
Station: VK8AA

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: Darwin

   CW:    0     0
  SSB:  348    17
-------------------
Total:  348    17  Total Score = 11,800

Club: Darwin ARC

Comments:

David Burger VK2CZ operating as VK8AA in Darwin, NT.   (k3hz at ieee.org)

The 2008 ARRL 10m event was yet another milestone for the ongoing challenge of
keeping up a log and appearances in this event. This year the planning was left
to a much later stage, with heavy work commitments, other significant
international travel with the IEEE, holiday season pressures and this year the
event being somehow closer to Christmas made it all the more challenging.

Looking at Darwin weather and keeping an eye on what the locals were saying
about the tropical weather build up , i.e. the wet season, meant that my plan
was to simply re-cycle the big 9 element yagi from 2007, with some minor
adjustments to stretch a little more gain. The antenna grew in size to approx
85' (that's 26m in metric). Many of the local Darwinites suggested this was the
worst uncomfortable hot wet season in many years, something you’d find hard to
argue against.

This year I operated from a very different part of Darwin nowhere near the
cooling effects of water. While there are no hills in Darwin, there is a
slightly higher part located in the industrial area around Hidden Valley and
Berrimah. The GPS showed approx 80m above sea level.. a vast improvement over
the past years locations which were just 2 to 3m above sea level. Being in luck
with a lull in some of the building activity, the opportunity to utilise a 60
ton crane to lift my antenna up around 43m above ground. The tip of the crane
jib was around 57m.. There are some photo’s to be published.

Looking to the USA and central Pacific yielded only a handful of KH6 stations,
who reported they had not heard anything of mainland USA either. Pointing the
big yagi down to east coast VK and to ZL had pileups on day 1, something not
often heard in these parts, especially on 10m.

Pointing north yielded patchy paths to JA/DU/KH2 and HL when it was clear east
coast VK was enjoying some major openings. Later, paths to India and to Africa
opened, and surprise contacts with 3B8, ZS6, FR. Nothing was heard from Europe
or central Asia, despite persistent attempts and beaming into those areas.

Figuring that day 2 may be an improvement, turned out to be grossly incorrect.
The number of day 2 QSO's was well down from day 1, and only 4 additional
multipliers were added. Midway through day 2, my operation was to be curtailed
around 0930z on day 2 - while this sounds pretty serious, it meant that I would
only miss the very last 3 hours of the event. You can get an idea of the feeling
when some else pulls your operation before a contest is due to finish !. With no
choice here, I was fully de-mobilised almost a full day earlier than planned.

Needless to say, the tropical heat of 34C and 85%+ humidity also played a major
factor in this event. Here are some of the odd things that happened:
- I assembled the yagi boom back to front, and with an incorrect
tubing segment. The yagi just looked a bit weird, so no electrical compromise.
- The soft-start controller fitted to by linear amp failed at turn-on, so a
hurried fix to secure close replacement parts and bypass the triac made
everything work after 45 minutes of mild panic.
- Major electrical storm went through, setting off all the storm
warning alarms in the crane electronics, and a direct hit just
200m away.. everything was fully unplugged at the time, so no
damage.
- Had a very close slow fly-by with both a helo and a couple of F/A-18’s, as
I’m sure the nearby Air Force were curious about an antenna so close to
controlled airspace.
- I forgot to pickup and pack the driven element, realising that as I was
waiting at the airport to fly home.. ! a few hurried phone calls and hopefully
all will be sorted.

In summary, many more stations activated this year compared to last, but no
stations heard or worked past 9,000km (5,600mi) in any direction, meaning a
drop in multipliers from last year. My expectation is a lower final score to
2007.

All up, 348 QSO’s with 17 Mults, prelim score around 11,800.
JA 	155
VK 	142
ZL 	10
9M2 	8
B 	7
DU 	3
HI 	3
YB 	3
ZS 	3
9M6 	2
HL 	2
HS 	2
KH2 	2
3B8 	1
FR1 	1
VR 	1
VU 	1

Many thanks again to Mark VK8MS for logistical support over the past 7 years
and also to Greg VK8HLF without whom this years trip would have been a flop.