[3830] OK RTTY W0YK SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 21 10:10:44 EST 2008

                    OK DX RTTY Contest

Call: W0YK
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: W0YK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CA

   80:   28    87       4        0
   40:  243   894      18        2
   20:  341   458      27        3
   15:   43    47       6        0
   10:    0     0       0        0
--------------------------------------
Total:  655  1486      50        5  Total Score = 89,160

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

RTTY contests continue to surprise me.  I've never done this one or paid it any
attention because I thought it was a European, or NA East Coast, contest that
would be extremely boring from the NA West Coast.  Then a few people remarked
how the OK DX RTTY Contest was a nice warm-up for the ARRL RTTY Round-Up in two
weeks.  So, I read through the rules and saw that we could work anybody, not
just OK stations, including those in our own country.  I was amazed, once
again, at the activity and the rates throughout the 12 hours I was on.  And, I
even worked a few OKs!

For me, this was basically a 40-meter contest with the other bands available to
accumulate more mults.  I missed the first two hours during which I decided to
get on and see what activity there was.  And, yes, my QSO total was dominated
by NA:

           80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total      %

    NA      27    188    224     39      0     478    73.0
    AS       1     35     57      0      0      93    14.2
    EU       0      5     53      0      0      58     8.9
    SA       0      3      1      1      0       5     0.8
    OC       0     11      5      3      0      19     2.9
    AF       0      1      1      0      0       2     0.3

And, yes, the 3520-3525 JA RTTY sub-band really does work--I called CQ on 3524
for a few minutes until I got the JA mult for that band.

The five-minute band-change rule crippled traditional SO2R, but having two
radios was still very useful.  While running on one band, the other band could
be tuned while filling up its bandmap.  Then, switch bands to work out the
bandmap and CQ for a bit while tuning the first band and building up its
bandmap.

The operation really did ferret out a couple issues in my shack which hasn't
been used in RTTY since the July NAQP.  It was a good warm-up for the Round-Up
although I won't be using this station.  ;>)

Thanks for the QSOs and all the familiar call signs.  It was a fun 12 hours.

Ed - W0YK