[3830] TBDC K7TJR Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 28 15:44:42 EST 2008

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K7TJR
Operator(s): K7TJR
Station: K7TJR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OR

Total:  QSOs = 178  Total Score = 1,390

Sometimes things are just not meant to be. My first total disaster in a contest.
At 247 Qs in the log my power went out with 2 quick successive blinks. At that
point my entire log for the contest was just plain GONE. I searched my computer
from end to end after power stabilized. Before that I was having a ball. I could
hear almost everything with a new 8 element RX antenna I had put up. I started a
new log and worked CQ only so as to not dupe anyone. Real Qsos were 178+247 or
395.
    I had been 150 miles away helping move an elderly person and had to drive
through the mountains for 4 hours to get back in time for the contest. I
started with a grin from ear to ear as I dont recall EU ever calling me during
any contest and there were many calling. Thats the problem as I cannot remember
all the calls, OMs OHs SMs LY Al K7CA at CE1. there were lots of the regulars I
work and many contest calls. I will let TBDC folks know so there should be no
nils in the contest as I know I worked a lot of you. I even worked Tree so they
know I was on.
    I see now the problem with too good of a RX antenna. It was so far above
the 1Kft Bevs that I seldom heard anything on the bevs in my left ear. I was
wondering if the Bevs were broken. But, in a contest I had to switch directions
all the time and felt that there were some that just gave up as I was searching
for the right direction. Sorry guys, I was trying. I worked 32 more JA stations
after restarting the log and a very loud HL3IUA. G4AMT,and an SM5 called which
must have been close to their sunrise. I do not know about others but it seemed
there may have been some high angle at work as the directionality at times
seemed to go away.
   I was hoping to stay awake for the morning run but just could not keep my
eyes open after being on the road and away from my own bed for so long. Took a
nap at about 1200Z and never made it back up. Oh well CQ-160 is next!
   Anyway,thanks Boring guys, It was still fun especially hearing all the EU
stations.

Lee K7TJR OR