[3830] NA Sprint SSB KA9FOX HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 10 10:26:05 PST 2008

                    NA Sprint SSB Contest

Call: KA9FOX
Operator(s): KA9FOX
Station: KA9FOX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WI

   80:  108    1:47
   40:   98    1:16
   20:   71    0:57
---------------------

Team: SMC Arctic Cold

Comments:

Participation seemed down, maybe more Sprinters doing WPX RTTY?  Less couplets
meant more CQing. Received many QSO #1's, and fortunately some of them were
good mults! No SO2R yet. 1 radio, 3 band changes.  I actually set up a second
radio, but when I went to use it, high SWR (turned out to be a bad coax patch
cable, lesson learned -- test things before the contest!!).

Conditions were strange.  I started on 40 to work the close-in stuff, but they
were already watery and weak.  But then when we all went to 40 an hour later,
those same guys were S9+.  The band got shorter?

Congrats to W9RE for the big score!  Mike definitely deserves to win this one
and it's looking good so far.  Maybe I need to start doing those Thursday night
practice sessions. :-)

Sure love the Sprint... always great to work so many familiar contesters.  With
family and work commitments, the 4 hour format sure works great for me... can't
wait for the next one!  Thanks for the fun!!

I pulled some extra statistics out of TR-Log this time around, hope they are
useful to someone.

73 - Scott KA9FOX

STATION:

Rig:  FT-1000MP
Antennas:
   F12 C4XL @ 95ft (2 ele on 20m & 40m)
   F12 EF180C @ 100ft (rotatable dipole on 80m)

Pictures at:  http://www.qth.com/ka9fox/gallery

MULTS MISSED:
  ID, MI, ND, RI, SD, VT, WV, VE2, VE4, VE5, VE7, VE8

DX MULTS WORKED:  V4 (tnx Mark!), CM (DX window on 80)

RATES:

  HOUR   80SSB   40SSB   20SSB   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
    0       0      18      67      85      85
    1       0      70       4      74     159
    2      56      10       0      66     225
    3      52       0       0      52     277

BAND CHANGES:

   1.    19  Band change from  40SSB to  20SSB at 00:11.
   2.    90  Band change from  20SSB to  40SSB at 01:08.
   3.   170  Band change from  40SSB to  80SSB at 02:13.

QSO DISTRIBUTION:

   1.           Ca   41
   2.           Wa   17
   3.           Il   15