[3830] NA Sprint SSB K7SS(@K7RI) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 10 14:47:05 PST 2008

                    NA Sprint SSB Contest

Call: K7SS
Operator(s): K7SS
Station: K7RI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: wa

---------------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Team:

Comments:

Don't know how, in good conscious, we can call this one a SPRINT!.... more like

a JOG with rest stops. Boy o boy... lowest ever Q total in a SSB sprint, but
not
whining, everyone had the same condx. And the guys up north in VE and KL7 had
it even worse. Usually there's enough of a pool of players, that speed becomes
a big factor. It wasn't this time. Location, and signal strength, and grit,
were the main ingredients. Congrats to big scores from FOX and RE and KW8N and
K6LL..SSB Sprint is usually a West Coast advantage contest, especially if 20
stays alive. But this time it bailed early, leaving 40 as the main playground,
and no geographic advantage this time out here.
40 died early as well, leaving only whispers of stations calling...and a few
big guns who had already been worked. Many 40m Qs were in the mud, and took
lots of repeats. So 40 dead...time for 75. Went there at 0220, with more than
90 minutes to go...and the few signals just 3 or 4 very weak big guys from N
CA,including W6NL, W6OAT, WX5S, and W6TK.  So for the first time in recent
memory the sprint trickled to a jog, then a walk, then a dead stop. NO WHERE TO
GO !  0220 to 0300 was a unreal.. reminded me of 3 in the morning during poor
condition DX contests, tuning up and down the band looking for anything that
moved. Wound up having a few nice slow ragchew Qs with some guys waiting around
for traffic nets. "Hey Bob, can I put you down for serial number
1?....."..."sure...why not!".. and so on.  Hahahah  LOL !  Well in a few years
we wont even remember this one, but today its still fresh in memory.
See you guys in September. Im taking bets now that it will be 100% better. Come
on spots !!   Thanks as usual to K7RI for use of his fine city lot station.  And
Kudos to the guys in WWA who hung in there for the this contest.. Congrats to
W7WA, K7RL, W7TMT, W7OM, K7PVV, K7IDX, and N7LOX. 73 de Danny, K7SS