[3830] ARRLDX CW KO7AA SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 17 19:49:26 EST 2008

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KO7AA
Operator(s): KO7AA
Station: KO7AA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Arizona

   10:    7     6
-------------------
Total: 1384   273  Total Score = 1,133,496

685 JA/BY/HL QSO's (50%) - THANKS !!

After the fall contests I was convinced the sunspots were coming back
and I had better put up a good 15M yagi for the ARRL DX. So I took
down the 4 el fixed NE at 37' and put up a BIG 6 el M2 on a TIC ring
rotor at 72'. The whole project turned out to be a lot of work! At
least it's 50-60F in Tucson in Jan/Feb. The boom sags so I've still
got work to do - there is a nice pic of it on my QRZ.com profile.
I guess I could have waited until next year, there was only 1 hour
of southern JA and NO EU.....

I had a major disappoinment with my 2nd radio amp (Ten Tec Titan).
The T/R relay went out in Dec and I sent it to the factory. They
"fixed" it but I never tested it. It went out after 3 contacts, so
I was left with a low power 2nd radio in a DX contest, not good.
Only 50 or so 2nd radio Q's, all on 15M. Lesson learned....

The highlights were a great 40M LP EU run and some really great DX
stuff on 80M. I had a 20M EU run on Sunday morning, but the sigs
were way down and I'm sure there were a lot of frustrated people
calling me that I just couldn't pull out. Maybe I need a new radio
AND a new amp.....

The only 6 banders were KH6LC and VP6DX, but not for lack of effort,
I had the skimmer going on 10M the whole weekind :))

73, Bill KO7AA in Tucson