[3830] ARRLDX CW W4PM SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 17 20:37:03 EST 2008

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W4PM
Operator(s): W4PM
Station: W4PM

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Hanover County, VA

   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  674   243  Total Score = 491,346

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Rig: Ten Tec OMNI VII, Ameritron ALS-600 400W
Antenna: 176' center fed flat top at 60'

The lower three bands were good the first day but QRN increased drastically
here the 2nd day.  Even so I had a couple of good runs on 40 and 80 in spite of
the heavy noise. I don't do well on 160 in DX contests because my antenna
performs the poorest on that band on both TX and RX but was pleased to get 24
multipliers there.  There are some good ears in Europe on 160!

20 meters was its normal bread and butter band in spite of this being the low
point in the solar cycle. Without a yagi for that band and above I normally do
as well or better on 40 M where my antenna has some gain over a dipole. It was
madding to hear the guys with big yagi's work station I could not hear.

15 meters was a big disapointment with only 54 Q's and 31 multipliers.  The
short openings to EU allowed a few of the big guns to make my log.  A couple of
nice ones from the Pacific came through to put a smile on my face but most of
the time QSO's there were just plain work!

10 meters was a bigger disappointment - I had ZERO Q's there.  I kept checking
when I saw a spot for a station on 10 M but I never heard anything.  I finally
gave up trying.

My time was limited due to family matters over the weekend but I was suprised
to see I did get on for a bit over half of the contest and my score was
slightly better than last year.

Thanks for the Q's and CU in the next CW contest.

73,
Puck, W4PM