[3830] ARRLDX CW KH7B(K4XS) SOSB/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 18 02:18:08 EST 2008

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KH7B
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: KH7XS

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: KH6

   40: 1706    59
Total: 1706    59  Total Score = 301,962

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

First time outside the mainland for this contest in 46 years.  It IS fun!

The station is still not completed so I had to go single band to make a serious
effort.  I just got the first of the two M2 monobanders for 40 last weekend in
20-25 MPH tradewinds....very exciting!  I was hoping to get the other one at
152 feet this week but it just didn't happen, so I decided to do 40 single with
just the lower (80 feet) of the two antennas.  I had my sights on the world
record set by N4BP at C6 with over 2100 QSOs.  It was not to be, but I did
break the old Oceanic record for 40, so that's the consolation prize.

Amazing rates with many bursts and then somewhat lulled again after the spot
played out.  I could always tell when I was spotted as I was called by the
likes of KC1XX, W3LPL and guys who always submit MM, M2 or assisted.

First night was great, but the second it seemed noisier and signals were
weaker.  Conditions were very surprising.  The biggest surprise was that at
around 9:30 AM EST I was called by a W1 in Maine with a pretty weak signal but
very Q-5 on a quiet band.  He then said QRP with 5 watts!  The band was open at
times that the boys back on the mainland usually consider it closed.

It was good to meet old mainland stations and be able to give a 599K to them.
Thanks to the two guys who dropped by in the last two hours to give me number
58 and 59 for mults.  I was appreciated as much as all the guys who spotted me.
 It really helps.  I think guys get somewhat lazy and don't S/P as much as they
used to and use the spots as an alternative.

Thanks for all the QSOs and I'll definitely see you all in the SSB part of this
one as single op single band effort...maybe 20 or 40.

73 Bill K4XS