[3830] ARRLDX CW K7GK(@K7ZSD) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 18 13:45:25 EST 2008

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K7GK
Operator(s): K7GK
Station: K7ZSD

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: OR

   10:    7     5
-------------------
Total: 1596   281  Total Score = 1,343,742

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

I was excited to try some new equipment at Brad’s excellent station, which
included a K-3 and a MicroHam MK2R. For the time that K-3 was operational, I
really like the receiver and the adjustable filter. But unfortunately some
apparent problems with it led to frequent freezing of the computer, several
reboots and some down time, that luckily came during slow hours. These problems
left me SO2R-less and barefoot on 160M for the first third of the contest. After
putting in another MarkV for the second radio, the problems have disappeared and
I was off to the races.
The EU propagation on 20/40/80 was the best I’ve ever seen from here. No 15
to speak of, and a short 10M opening was another lucky find. And as usual, JAs
save the day. Big thanks to T32OU for moving for me twice! Working VP6DX on 6
bands was an added bonus.
73, Denis - K7GK