[3830] ARRLDX CW N9VN SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 19 22:56:07 EST 2008

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N9VN
Operator(s): N9VN
Station: N9VN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: DeKalb, IL - EN51

   20:   8      6
   15:   4      4
Total:  12     10  Total Score = 360

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

This was my first try at a DX contest.  I wasn't sure how well the "dorm room
special" horizontal loop would get out.  I could only run about 40 watts, since
it is an indoor antenna and I didn't want the RF getting into everything,
including myself.  Was only on for a few hours due to work obligations, but
made good use of those few hours.  All my contatcs were on 15m & 20m.  I
listened through 40m, but the band was too short & all i heard were domestic
stations.  The power level reporting from some of the stations confused me at
first (5TT, 1TT, etc...), but i figured it out eventually, plus it made it
really easy to tell the local stations from the DX.  Had a bunch of ???'s but
stuck with it and eventually got through.  It's nice to know that you can still
DX, even if you're stuck in an apartment or dorm room like myself.  Maybe i'll
give it a go for the SSB and see how that works out...

73's

Vince - N9VN