[3830] NAQP RTTY K4XD Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 24 07:53:29 EST 2008

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: K4XD
Operator(s): K4XD
Station: K4XD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NC

   15:    5     3
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  172    76  Total Score = 13,072

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC 2

Comments:

Very limited time effort with guests over, and yes, I admit I wasted some time
hanging around on 28002 hoping to get VP6DX on 10M for a 9 band sweep -- not a
peep out of them unfortunately.

This was my second SO2R effort, and it seemed to get both easier and harder.
Easier just because I'm getting more used to it, and harder because I did more
interleaving of transmissions on the two radios, using both actively.  On my
first outing, I tended to use the second radio when nothing was happening on
the CQ radio.  With the more active of the second radio, I found it was easy to
miss a caller on the CQ radio, or find myself having to wait for one radio to
stop transmitting to answer on the second.

I had a run going most of the time on one radio -- either 20 or 40M.  I never
could get anything going on 15 -- I was a bit surprised to see the band so
empty here.  And 10M, "fuhgetabouddit."

So far I'm still using AFSK on two sound boards, each connected with an
inexpensive interface that provides CAT and two way audio.  WriteLog does all
the SO2R heavy lifting.   I have the second radio connected to an all band
antenna.  So this is low budget SO2R, but I find it increases my enjoyment of
the contest.  I ordered an ICE bandpass filter this week, and I suspect just
putting it on the second radio will give me some improvement in noise on the
primary -- which is very isolated even without filters.

Thanks to all for the fun and the Q's, and apologies to those I kept waiting!

73,
Rowland K4XD