[3830] CQ160 SSB K4XD Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 26 14:14:30 EST 2008

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: K4XD
Operator(s): K4XD
Station: K4XD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Raleigh

Total:  QSOs = 97  State/Prov = 31  Countries = 3  Total Score = 7,616

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was a really limited time effort, with the NAQP RTTY competing along with
family stuff.  My low point was the return of the problem where the SWR spikes
and the amp shuts down (protection circuit).  This had been happening on 160M
CW, but was eliminated when I turned of the K9AY receive loop preamp.  Still OK
on 160M CW even running 1KW, but I guess I didn't check SSB, and trying to run
any kind of power with SSB on 160M only causes the SWR to jump and the amp to
shut down.  So apologies for my "quick fade" on a number of QSO's, I was
resetting the amp and trying to debug the problem.

Since I don't work much 160M SSB, this is not a crippling problem, especially
as 160M CW works OK with full power.  But it does look like RF in the shack and
for some reason SSB is triggering it but CW is not.  Kind of odd because you
would think the continuous high CW power would generate more RF than the peaks
and valleys of SSB, but maybe it's just that fluctuation that is causing the
problem.

So I ended up mostly S&P and doing a little bit of running, and mostly just
running barefoot with 100W.  As others have commented, the QRM and splatter was
pretty horrendous in the evenings.

I did notice an even bigger difference (improvement) using the K9AY loops vs.
my inv L transmit antenna than I do with CW, kind of interesting.

I really enjoy 160M CW -- 160M SSB, not so much!

73,
Rowland K4XD