[3830] TBDC N6RK Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 1 18:03:57 EST 2008

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N6RK
Operator(s): N6RK
Station: N6RK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CM98

Total:  QSOs = 352  Total Score = 3,158

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I considerably exceeded my previous best effort:

Best DX:  ZL3IX, other DX: JA, CE, UA0

Conditions were excellent.  Both DX and
east coast were easy to work.

Two new station improvements worked well:

1.  Changed SO2R receive antenna to a 4 ft
diameter RX loop, 900 feet east of TX ant,
200 feet south of the shack.  This was VERY
carefully oriented broadside to the TX vertical.
This gave me at least 60 dB of nulling
of the run radio, enabling me to listen while
transmitting up to within a few kHz of the
CQ frequency.  This loop turned out to
be a surprisingly good receive antenna,
even though it was near power lines.  It
compared favorably with the dipole and was
almost as good as the beverages in some cases.
CE/K7CA was easy copy on the loop, although
better on the bev.  You could do just fine
using nothing but this loop for receive, and
I didn't even have a preamp on it.  SO2R
radio is TS-570D.  S02R switches are homebrew.

2.  Set up the FT1000D/BPF-1 (run radio) for diversity
reception.  Both main and sub receiver tuned to same
frequency. Right ear hears omni antenna
(60 ft high full size dipole).  Left ear
hears 1 of 6 beverages controlled by a selector switch.
Diversity implemented by the processor between my
ears :-)   This worked extremely well and will be used
from now on.