[3830] NAQP CW KC5R Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 13 02:56:02 EST 2008

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: KC5R
Operator(s): KC5R
Station: KC5R

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: LA

   15:   36     9
Total:  460   145  Total Score = 66,700

Club:

Team:

Comments:

In case you wanted to know, this weekend is the anniversary of the Battle of New
Orleans of the War of 1812 fame (the battle took place in 1815). So my son, his
cub pack, myself, and the XYL went to the battlefield to watch the re-enactors
and guys talk about amputating legs, etc.

Note that since the British at the time didn't recognize the Louisiana Purchase
(they felt France had sold the US property that they didn't own), they planned
to occupy the Louisiana Territory west of the Mississippi if they had won the
battle. As it turns out, they got beat and we have the "lower 48 states".
Otherwise, there would have been an English territory (the bulk of the
Louisiana Purchase area), and there's a good chance Texas and California would
have been their own DXCC entity, my QTH would be part of Mississippi (I live in
the part of Louisiana that is east of the Mississippi River) & Pat W5WMU who
live west of the river would have some GK call sign and be in a country that
only allows their hams 400 watts of TX power. So thanks to the battle outcome,
we have 48 states rather than about 25, Pat can run the big amps, and NAQP is a
whole different ballgame than it would otherwise be (not to mention that DXCC
honor role is missing a few "easy ones"). Tea anyone?

Well getting back to the day, I arrived back around 2100Z from the park, so
having missed the first 3 hours I was able to operate the remaining 9 hours.
This shorted my 20 and 15 mtr opportunities, and it appears as if I missed the
few minutes of fame on 10 mtrs. So I had to rely on more efforts on 40, 80, and
160. It was ended up being a bit more fun this way, as this week I ran a new
feed for the 80 mtr loop (its a temporary feed until I can replace a line on
the 160 mtr windom, and then use the 160 mtr line on the 80 mtr) which
eliminated some line loss and added a switch. So was able to play with the
electronic switching between the 80/160, which give me some polarization
diversity on receive on those bands, and make fast band changes. Also, 40
turned long early which may have affected 80 as the skip was just right here at
0000. Then 40 settled down and went "medium" around 0100 or so, and I was able
to basically work close in and far stuff - the southeast, northeast, west
coast, and all the stuff in the middle right up until 0600. What a deal.
Figuring which way to rotate the antenna on 40 became the biggest issue.

Managed to work a personal QRP best on multipliers, thanks to a good 160
showing and a wide open 40. Rate when S&P or running remained fairly the same
during the contest here.

See you on phone.