[3830] NAQP CW N9CO Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 14 08:14:00 EST 2008

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N9CO
Operator(s): N9CO
Station: N9CO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL

Total:  521   160  Total Score = 83,360

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC #3

Comments:

Part-time for this one.

Rates worth reporting:

2100z (20 and 40) => 102/hr
2200z (40)        => 100/hr
2300z (40 and 80) =>  95/hr

I found out a few days before the contest that I would have to go part time.
Nathan, my soon-to-be 8 year old second grader, had his first youth league
b-ball game that started at noon (1800z), so I would miss the first 1+ hours of

the test.  Next was a social function in the evening that took me out of
prime-time 80m.  I hurried home and operated the last 1.5 hours.

I was curious as to how well the recently installed Inrad TS-930 Roofing
Filter (Christmas present from Shelley and the kids) would work.  I'm happy to

report that it made a very noticeable difference.  Numerous times I would be
running with a very strong station adjacent, and would not even notice them.
One example was on 20m, in the late afternoon, beaming west.  K6LL, who always
has a huge signal here, was just up slightly from my run freq, and unless I
tweaked the RIT up 0.2 or so, I couldn't even tell that he was there.  Not very
scientific, I know, but this scenario would not have occured with the stock 930
first IF filter.  These observations would later be confirmed on the low bands,
where signals are much stronger.  It was very easy to nestle in between some
powerful signals and start a run.  I copied some weak stations on the low bands
that I'm convinced that I would not have been able to with the stock filter.

I can only imagine what a rig like the Ten-Tec Orion or Elecraft K3 are like,
but until the time comes that I can afford them, I'm happy that there is a
way to keep my old stuff running and somewhat competitive.

Thanks for all the qso's.  Jan NAQP CW is one of my favorites.

73,
Charlie  N9CO