[3830] NAQP SSB NC4KW(N1LN) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 20 07:58:45 EST 2008

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: NC4KW
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NC

   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  697   154  Total Score = 107,338

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC Part Timers Team #3

Comments:

What a difference a week makes !   Our first real winter storm of the year
decided to travel through the area today, actually starting about 1 hour after
NAQP.   Now this was not a storm at all if viewed by Northerners, but for us
folks in the WARM SOUTH it sure slowed us down.  My 15 meter and 20 meter stats
were just about the same as CW, with 15 coming up a bit.   Propagation was
strange however.  Signals were not loud, most had QSB and many had some type of
flutter.  Then came the snow and ice.  Well this is my first experience with
linear loaded antennas in these conditions so I don't know if this is normal.
My resonant frequency on my Force12  2 ele 40 dropped from 7.083 to 6.820.
Needless to say the SWR went way up.  Good thing the FT1000MPs have internal
tuners, because I don't own any external units.  Moving on to 75 and 160.  The
noise level here on 75 was about S9.  On 160 it was peaking at 10db over S9
with a constant around S9.  Even with that, 75 was my best band from a RUN
perspective.   Sure proves beverages (wire variety in this discussion) are
mandatory!   The noise was so extreme I don't have a single 6 or 7 land QSO and
only one from 0 land in the log for 75 and 160.

One more item. About 2 hours into the contest I decided to go for a short walk
with my wife.  The snow was falling and it looked so nice outside.  That
combined with last week’s NAQP CW, this week’s NAQP SSB, next week’s
CQWW-160 and … the week after that the NA-Sprint CW, I thought it was in my
best interest.  However, stupid me!  The total “off time” was only 28
minutes.  I NEVER LOOKED AT THE CLOCK so I had 28 minutes off that did not
count as a break.  Just 28 minutes without any Qs ! ! !    LID LID LID ! ! !

Oh well - so much for the 'ain’t it awful' corner.

Thanks to all for the QSOs and the MANY repeats.  Also sorry for those that I
just could not pull out beyond a letter or two.

One request - MUCH better conditions for CQ-WW 160 CW next weekend!!!

73,
Bruce - N1LN
aka: NC4KW)