[3830] NAQP SSB KC5R Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 20 13:53:47 EST 2008

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: KC5R
Operator(s): KC5R
Station: KC5R

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LA

   10:    3     2
-------------------
Total:  850   136  Total Score = 115,600

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Mardi Gras is early this year (Feb 5th), so parade season starts early. So
January is full of pre-parade events such as the Costume Balls, etc. The XYL's
krewes Ball happened to fall on the same night as the NAQP SSB Contest, so I
had basically 6 hours of operating time available until I had to clean-up, fill
up the "flasks" and go. Really it wasn't a bad deal giving up screaming into a
mic for going to a party with a 540 member women's mardi gras krewe....I guess
we all make sacrifices...

Anyhoot, I figured I'd give QRP a rest and let it rip with the "whole 100
watts". Started out on 15 at around 1815z and found the band quite odd - W4 was
booming in here, almost like e-skip. Worked a bunch of stuff, and the usual west
coast skip. Rate was ok, but nothing to get jazzed up about. I managed to
interleave in a few 10 mtr QSOs, as I figured the odd-ball condx on 15 was a
sign that there was some life on 10. I worked some close in stuff there too
(more W4s - NC and FL). Then "I went to 20 to make some money". I managed a
super rate, with a 193 hour including a few 5 Q/min runs. It's nice for a
change to go from fighting to keep a frequency at a reasonable QRM level when
you're QRP, to having a super quiet freq to pull out the weak ones. Next, I
went to 40 early and had a 138 hour (QRM limited), with the band just right
into the NE/Midwest. Also worked CA/WA quite early on 40 (2320Z). Finally, I
went over to 80 a bit sooner than usual, to grab some easy pickens and mults.
Worked everything in the contest but MT and HI as far as states, and missed
PEI, NS, AB, and "NT land" in Canada.

No real major strategy to maximize score, just wanted to see what I could crank
out. With good rates, I didn't get much chance to listen on the other VFO anyway
to find some odd mults or catch all the 10 mtr activity.

CU! -Al

Here's the mult list:

Sect	Total
AK	4