[3830] NAQP SSB NX5M M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 20 14:49:46 EST 2008

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, KU5B, N5XJ, AB5K, K5NZ
Station: NX5M

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: TEXAS

   10:   71     9
-------------------
Total: 2304   240  Total Score = 552,960

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

First time to do the January NAQP in about 3 years.  Decision was not officially
made until about 4 days before.  The hold up was work on a new 160m beverage
system.  My goal was to at least get 3 of the new beverages operational in time
and accomplished that Tuesday night....so we gave it a go.
Sorry to some of you east/west guys that called on 160....the E and W beverages
are up but not yet operational.  I sure could have used them for some of you as
I had to struggle to pull some of you out that were out in AZ.  The other
three, which are NE, NW and SE have pretty sharp patterns so hearing due east
and due west was difficult.  It got a bit frustrating to call people that I
could hear pretty well only to have them never hear me.
Discovered Saturday morning that the 80m phasing switch was acting funny.
Finally concluded that it was a connector problem on the control line so with
little time to make repairs I did the next best thing....opened up the box,
went into the shack and soldered a pigtail control line directly to the relays,
took it back out and just cut the connector off and hardwired it together.  All
was well after that.  Whew.
Everyone arrive here a littel over an hour before the contest so we went and
had lunch, as planned, at a local restaurant.  No one got into an operating
chair until about 5 minutes before the start.
Several people were nice enough to follow us thruough the bands.  Several made
the 6 band sweep...mainly from FL and other points in the SE states.
See you again in August.