[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N0JK Single Op Port QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 20 22:28:34 EST 2008

                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: N0JK
Operator(s): N0JK
Station: N0JK

Class: Single Op Port QRP
QTH: EM18

    6:   7     6
    2:   2     2
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:   9     8  Total Score = 72

After I set up my portable station Saturday at the "Cattle Pens" in the Flint
Hills of EM18 I turned on the 6 Meter radio. Some very loud CW in the beacon
band. The W9DR/b on 50.062 MHz in EL86 was booming in!  Cool, a big contest Es
opening right at the start. But the Florida 6 Meter beacon faded out about 30
minutes before the start of the contest and I heard no more Es. E-skip was
spotted after the contest started to the south - Oklahoma and Texas to Florida,
and a nice opening along the east coast between Florida to 1, 2 and 3 land. My
best "DX" on 6 meters was KG5MD EM36 Midway, AR at 415 km. Not bad for 10 watts
and a 2 el yagi on groundwave. I heard K8MD EN82 and a station in DM65 briefly
on "scatter." 2 Meter conditions were terrible - only N0LL and KB0HH logged. As
the sun went down my hopes for a contest Es opening faded with it. Then it
started snowing, I got really cold (-3 deg F windchill), decided I had enough
and packed up. From high hopes to freezing fingers - that is the January VHF
Sweepstakes s/o portable in the heartland.