[3830] CQ160 CW VE3FRX Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 27 21:48:01 EST 2008

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VE3FRX
Operator(s): VE3FRX
Station: VE3FRX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Bayfield

Total:  QSOs = 315  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 4  Total Score = 81,162

Had to set up a temporary shack in an upstairs bedroom, so grounding was a
problem and RF sent my old TS-140s into oscillation when computer keying with
more than 10 watts was used.  So switched to QRP class and what a blast!  Great
conditions and with 5 watts, I was heard with only one call, usually.  Temp
antenna was 90ft longwire to the bedroom window and into a tree at about 30 ft
high.  Ground rod beneath the window has 5 160m radials attached. Problem with
RF and the CAT with the TS-950SDX, so went with the TS-140, my first rig from
1989.  With the narrow filter and the IF shift control, it wasn't too painful.
New QTH is acreage near Bayfield, ON is on the top of a hill about 3 mile east
of Lake Huron, which I can see from the shack.   This really helped my antenna.
Also have very low noise level, but with snow storm it was higher than normal
(S3).
Did all Search and Pounce as I didn't expect anyone to hear me with first QRP
effort.  Really opened my eyes to the possibilities as I worked VP9I with one
call (no QRM) and got into the west coast, XE, ZF2 and C6. Heard lost of EU,
but no QRP contacts.  And whats with the NA stations calling CQ in the DX
window! Not talking newbies here.  Lots of stations forgetting about QRL?
before jumping on top of DX. Nasty.  Pulled consecutive 7-7 all nighters so its
off the bed.
Thanks for all the QSOs and thanks to CQ for sponsoring a great contest.
73
Jeff, VE3FRX
(ex VE6GJ, VE6RCI, VE3RCI)