[3830] CQ160 CW AA4LR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 27 23:22:31 EST 2008

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA

Total:  QSOs = 433  State/Prov = 49  Countries = 6  Total Score = 53,515

Club: Southeastern DX Club

Comments:

Antenna:
Shunt-fed 15m tall tower

Equipment:
K2/100 w/ KAT100 running 90 watts

Comments:

Not really a full-time effort, but I had a lot of fun. operated a good bit
Friday night, but Saturday I had to pull the plug after a couple of hours
early. Got on both mornings as well, and an hour Sunday evening just before the
end.

Worked 45 states, missing AK, ME, ND, NE, and WY. Not sure what happened with
the ME, NE and WY. I did near an NE station work someone else. Haven't worked
ND on 160m since WB0O left for AZ, and I have NEVER heard an AK station on
160m.

Heard several strong europeans on both evenings -- however, they appeared to be
completely deaf. Calling CQ over and over, completely oblivious to all the
stateside stations calling. Only managed a few DX stations: C6A, CM, KH6, XE,
VP9, ZF. I did hear a JA calling CQ on Sunday morning. He wasn't quite loud
enough for me to pick out the call out of the noise, and when someone else
found him, all the callers covered him up.

Managed a few good runs Friday and Saturday evening. Rate meter almost hit 200
a couple of times. Perhaps the most fun of 160m contests is running stations.
Not bad for 90 watts and a short vertical.

Dedicating this effort to the SEDXC celebrating 50 years as a club.