[3830] CQ160 CW OL7R Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 28 08:02:18 EST 2008

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: OL7R
Operator(s): OK1WMV,OK1VWK
Station: OL7R

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: JN69ms

Total:  QSOs = 928  State/Prov = 29  Countries = 60  Total Score = 443,309

We (me and Vendy) desided to try some effort in "160m EU ZOO" contest after
several years without our serious participation. I have to say: "Yes it was
fine, but ..." How many EUs have solid equipment for make contacts with JAs on
160 every day ? How many EUs really heard any signal form JA on the frequency ?
And how many of us still calling without chance after each DX cluster spot ? In
the fact, lot of EUs are increasing backround noise level only. Continous EU
ZOO calling JA stn. No chance lsn RST+DXCC from oposite station for anybody. No
chance listen anything trough S9+40dB EU wall. Only continous "white noise". I
could tell only Yes, there is some weak station, maybe JA ? Propably, because
DXCluster says it or high "white noise" activity is monitored on the
frequency.

Anyway we had fine weekend. Vendy started first night with poor TRX (FT920) and
Inv.V at 24m and Inv.L instaled btw 2 towers for 20 ad 40m band. After first 12h
contest period was 450 contats in our log and 12 US/VE multipliers (20 real
US/VE contats). We desided to try maximum for better score. TRX has been
changed to my FT1000MP. Trough day-light period we tried make better antenna
with low radiation angle than our real Inv.L. After some no good experiments
with Bobtail Curtain won sloper design. For the second night window we prepared
and installed 1/4wl sloped wire with only one tuned ground element. Maximum
radiation to West. It was good strategy. We monitored solid directivity to
West. After second night window we had over 800 contats in log. 29 US/VE mults
and lot of DL, ON, PA, G etc. Real number of worked US/VE stations was 90. Our
little satisfaction for first night.

For the last night window was changed our sloped wire to max radiation to
North-East. We expected better UA9 or JA response for our CQ TEST. First
minutes after the grey-line cut trough our country we have given definite
answer. First UA9 spotting our QRG came a few minutes after. It was UA9MA.
After of several next contacts finished little pileup from Asiatic Russia. We
desided to finish also our participation in the contest. Last contact was made
Sunday afternoon in 17:27 UTC. Our contest friend Zdenek OK1DSZ said me after
contest that for last 2 hours were nice conditions to make US stations. Better
than previous night windows. Unfortunately we have been sitting at home in this
time.

Thanks to all EUs who called on JA frequency no more than 2x without answer.
And special thanks to all who are little bit listening before start their TX on
the spoted frequency.

73 de Milan, OK1VWK on behalf of OL7R team