[3830] CQ160 CW N1LN Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 28 11:05:34 EST 2008

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): W0UCE, N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NC

Total:  QSOs = 1421  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 60  Total Score = 534,690

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

What a great time!!    CQ-WW 160 CW is one of my favorite events and I thought
it would be one more year before I could participate from the new QTH.
However, after spending some time listening to the ARRL 160 CW on my 40 or 80
mtr dipoles, I decided to put up something to give it a try.   As the new
antenna farm is still under construction, with 160 antennas being the last to
go up, the decision was focused at what I could do quickly.   The result was an
Inverted-V for TX and a couple of short beverages at compromise compass headings
for RX.   My wife (Laurie – N1YXU) again offered her support as ground crew so
the I-V and beverages were quickly completed.    Next was to do some recruiting
to be able to enter as a Multi-Op with another operator.   The first person I
thought of was Jack (W0UCE).  Thanks Jack for being willing to give it a try.
Due to the temporary compromise antennas we agreed to focus on FUN – not
necessarily to be competitive.  As it turned out, we did much better than we
thought.   Yes, the conditions were really in our favor.   Based on our end
score we knew there would be some HUGE scores turned in from the big stations.
 The numbers already posted on 3830 support our opinion.

We started off great.   I opened up with rates for the first hour peaking at
198 with an actual total of 165 Qs.   Jack then took over for hour 2 while I
ate dinner   The activity kept up and delivered a fun 145 hour for Jack.
After that, as expected, the rates went down but those first two hours easily
delivered on our original goal of having fun.   Having achieved goal 1 we
decided to see just how good could we do.

Overall Summary:

The inverted-V did better than we thought.  However,  were able to hear at
least 10 countries that we could not work.   Additionally, the 10 point Q count
was probably down even though we were able to put 165 in the log.

What happened to VE4, VE5?

No VK, ZL or KL7.  Probably directly related to our antennas.

Pleasantly surprised to be able to hear and work (2) JAs.

Thought we were not going to work DC, but eventually we found 1 with S/P and
another called us Sunday evening.

Best of all – Jack agreed to come back next year!   We are both anxious to
try it again with the completed 160 TX and RX antennas.

Equipment:

FT1000MP / AL1500 / WriteLog / Inverted-V at 100’ / ENE and WNW short
beverages.

73,
Bruce – N1LN