[3830] RAC Day VE4EAR SOAB/Ph HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jul 2 00:04:47 EDT 2008

                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SOAB/Ph HP
QTH:

   80:          61                 9
   40:          63                 7
   20:         178                10
   15:           1                 0
Total:   0     303       0        26  Total Score = 67,600

I couldn't let this one go by. Rigged up a couple temporary antennas and wanted
to put a decent effort in, at least until family plans called for non radio
activities.

Started out on 20m right at 0000Z. After 1 hour, I had managed only 5 QSOs abd
2 of them were to other VE4's in town. Condistions were very noisey. AL1G, a
VE7 and a VE9 were the only stations that I could hear and I heard them working
plenty of other stations so I knew this was not going to be a fun event. When I
heard a couple US stations giving out numbers in the 40 and 50  range after 1
hour, I knew I was wasting my time. So  being a beautiful sunny summer eve,
took my gorgeous XYL and went for a 90 minute walk. When I came back, 20 was
dead but 40 was alive and soon found a hole and starting working some rate.

Well after about an hour of that just when the band was in great form, the
children decide theywant to watch a rented movie on the home theater. That
would be great except the rear speaker leads are almost perfect 1/4 wave at 40m
and I do terrible RFI to the system when operating on 40m. Soo to keep peace in
the family off to 80m I go.

It was kind of early but managed a few Qs and was surprised at the conditions.
Relatively quiet for a summer evening with a minimal number of static crashes.

By the time the kids finished the movie, 40m was either dead or had been
abandoned by everyone for 80m.

Couldn't find anyone new on 80m or 40m so pulled to the plug around 0600Z with
128 Qs. Hit the air just before 1200z and thought I would get an early start.
The family had plans for the afternoon and evening and I knew I would miss the
last 7 hours of the contest. I had to make some rate to catch last years
totals.

20m opened slowed as expected but was surprised to work a VE5 off some very
short back scatter very early, a rare occurrence. Managed one good hour rate of
about 140Qs and then it stopped. Not a lot of new calls and I guess being a
workday for our United States friends, the number of available Q's was way
down.

Finally pulled the plug around 1700z.  I was a little dissapointed thst more
stations didn't take advanatge of 10 and 15m. 15m was open early to the SE
states and 10m was open to the SE and SW via E's propagation. Listend on the
11m band and it was jumping with stations. Maybe more people checked these
bands out as the afternoon went on.

Another bonus was working a ND station to complete my WAS on 80m!

Thanks to the sponsors and RAC for this contest. It is a shame in a way to
share this contest with Canada Day and the family festivities as it makes a
full effort difficult. But nonetheless, a fun contest and great way to say hi
to all the other Canadian amateurs.

73

Ed
VE4EAR