[3830] RAC Day VE3KZ SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jul 2 10:18:37 EDT 2008

                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VE3KZ
Operator(s): VE3KZ
Station: VE3KZ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Milton, ON
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    6      3       4         2
   80:   44     43       6         7
   40:   79     53       8        10
   20:  141     97      10        12
   15:   35     18       6         6
   10:    4      5       1         1
    6:    5     11       1         1
    2:    3      5       1         1
Total:  317    235      37        40  Total Score = 328,944

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Murphy had his timing down pat for me this weekend. After a lot of work on
antennas including a new 15m yagi and the beverages and switching system, I was
all ready for ABHP on Canada Day. (Against VE3EJ? - Dream on!) The beverages
were probably the source of the problem when the front end of the 950 finally
went dead after several months of slow desensing. A quick review of my
resources meant that my QRP/VHF radio, the IC-706MKIIG was going to be pressed
into service on ABLP. (Against VE3DZ?) That or take the S-Line out of
mothballs! Alas I had no computer interface to the 706, which was never a big
deal in its normal role. The receiver selectivity however was not meant to
survive mixing with the block busting stations present in this contest. The 706
seemed to want to head for 14.060 to get away from it all! (or 432.100) I set
the keyer for 28 wpm, grabbed the hand mike and away I went! Not a winning
combination!

Congratulations to John, VE3EJ, for what looks like a new SOABHP record for
Canada Day. A great way to celebrate being Canada's Amateur of the Year, John!

Activity was great for a Tuesday contest. Outstanding contributions by such as
N4PN and those intrepid DX stations like G3ORY whom I even worked on 15m! The
atmospheric noise on 80 and 160 was fierce at night but on 40 it was there for
24 hours! The main noise on 20 was local power line buzzes and listening to
about 30 kHz of overload signals. Contacts on 10m and 15m other than local were
nice but not like the Field Day weekend!

Thanks everyone for all the Q's. Despite the last minute adversity it was a lot
of fun as usual. Great to work VY0HL and VE8RCS and the 12 RAC stations that
were active, specially VA2RAC who was omnipresent! Good show!

73 Bob VE3KZ