[3830] IARU K8AJS SO CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jul 16 12:43:09 EDT 2008

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K8AJS
Operator(s): K8AJS
Station: K8AJS

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: OH

  160:    0     0       0       0
   80:   20     0       3       3
   40:  149     0      12      25
   20:  439     0      23      35
   15:   54     0      10      13
   10:    5     0       4       1
-------------------------------------

The contest went so-so. Conditions were pretty rotten. I was still awake at
midnight when I shut down for the night, but the noise on 80 was horrible, I
was having trouble finding new stations on 40, I decided to get some shut-eye.
After listening to 80, I didn’t even try 160, perhaps I should have, just for
the fun of it. Maybe if I had stayed up through the night I would have had
better luck to the west, I’ll have to “tough it out” next time.

I worked very little EU, and paths over the pole were almost non-existent. No
JA or SE Asia in the log. I did get a few VK/ZL stations and Hawaii, but that
was about it from the Pacific.

I did get some stations on 15 meters, and even 10 meters showed up for a little
bit.

For evidence of the bad conditions, I compared my score this year to the score
the last time I put a full effort into IARU, in 2006. That year, I had 783
contacts, 2271 contact points and 159 multipliers for a total score of 361,089.
My points per QSO that year was 2.90, this year it was 2.46. Terrible
conditions.

To add salt to the wound, I worked exactly *no* new countries or zones in IARU
for the CQ DX Marathon...:-(

Rigs: FT1000MP, FT897D
SO2R: W5XD Multi-Keyer
Ants: 3/4 ele quad, 204-ft G5RV, 130-ft Sloper
Software: WriteLog 10.58e