[3830] NAQP RTTY W0YK Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 20 01:20:46 EDT 2008

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: W0YK
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: W0YK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA

Total:  616   154  Total Score = 94,864

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC 1

Comments:

Man, what a grind ... and a bit disappointing too.  Prior to the contest ten
meters was open all over the US, not strong but very workable.  During the
contest, not much action there mainly due to lack of activity more than
anything.  Although, propagation was spotty and always moving around.  There
was a nice, but very short opening after east coast sunset that most people
missed.  Then, 80 was a big surprise, as in "dud".  NJ1F stopped by toward the
end and said there was a pileup calling me on 3573 and I couldn't hear a trace
of it.  I worked a few scattered mults around NA on 80 but it was very sparse.
AA5AU and I QSY'd to 15 and never found each other, yet I worked several other
LA stations on both 10 and 15.  The whole ten hours, I'm thinking how great it
will be when we have decent propagation again!

I decided to save almost an hour of off time for the end, so I could quit when
apparently most everyone else already had.  At the half-way mark the shack was
hot and I was sweaty so I brought in a fan, and figured I'd go first class with
a chilled bottle of dry Rose of Pinot Noir.  That clearly helped the attitude
during the second half.

Thanks for all the moves ... they were great.  Many were successful and a lot
were almost successful--I called a number of you but you didn't copy me.  Just
like I called a bunch of stations and mults on the east coast on 10 and 15 to
no avail.  Seems like a lot of one-way propagation.

73,
Ed - W0YK