[3830] CQWW VHF WB3BEL Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jul 22 19:54:45 EDT 2008

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: WB3BEL
Operator(s): WB3BEL
Station: WB3BEL

Class: Rover LP
QTH:

Total:  359   119  Total Score = 58,429

This is always a super-fun contest.  I like the format and welcoming
atmosphere.

It seemed like participation was down a bit from other years, but it was really
good to hear familiar voices once again.

I roved through 4 grids (FM08, FM09, FM18, FM19)to try to keep gasoline
expenses under control.  But in an effort to be on high ground, I travelled
almost 500 miles including a bit of backtracking to get 4 hours in my own bed.
I made improvements to the antennas over the previous year and it seemed like it
helped out especially on 6 meters.  I also set a strategy to stay in each grid
for a longer period of time and try to work as many stations as possible.  I
did not want to be on the road during an major Es opening.  But as it turned
out that was not really an issue.  Although as luck would have it I was blocked
by a mountain ridge to the west during the Saturday evening opening to the upper
midwest.  Likewise, I had some tall buildings and noise issues masking the
southwest opening on Sunday morning.

I want to thank everyone who gave me a call and I apologize if I could not pull
you out of the fizz or splatter.  Thanks especially to those who made an extra
effort to find me in multiple grids.  You may not know how much we rovers
appreciate every QSO! It can be hours on the road between grids, and having a
lot of callers when you get the antennas up makes it all worthwhile.  Now I
just need to get some more RF power on 2 meters to get more of those 2
pointers.  If you are one of those ops who has a two meter radio but no
antenna, give your six meter antenna a try on two.  It usually works better
than you might think even if you have to turn the TX power down a smidge.

Thanks also to all the great ops who gave me some good advice on rove sites. I
am still looking for that spot that has a unlimited radio horizon, no radio
towers, trees or tourists asking what kind of wildlife, escaped convict or
spies you are tracking.

73,  Harry WB3BEL