[3830] AlQP W0BH SOMixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 9 13:03:48 EDT 2008

                    Alabama QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: SOMixed HP
QTH: KS

   80:    9      4
   40:   55     20
   20:   29     29
Total:   93     53      46        23  Total Score = 16,491

Having a good QSO Party going during a day where other things were scheduled
really makes for a fun Saturday. I missed the first hour, then kept coming back
every half hour or so to track mobiles and fixed station band/mode changes in
between a number of other projects. Missed another hour and a half in prime
time evening but still managed to find 55 of the 67 counties, so was really
impressed with the action.

Counties missed: AUTA BULL CLAY DALE GENE JKSN MACO MNRO PICK RAND SUMT WASH.

I had great 20m conditions most of the day and was surprised to work 40m from
Kansas into Alabama the entire day as well, although sometimes it was a
stretch. CQing was only marginally successful for me when I had the time.
Overall, I worked 68 unique calls.

Special thanks to the mobiles: NY4N/m (14 and a nice surprise to work you on
80), W4AN/m (12), K4ZGB/m (8), KC4HW/m (7 plus the loudest consistent signal
into Kansas award), KN4Y/m (3), and KG4VBK/m (3). Of the fixed stations, W4LEE
was everywhere.

I did have to work extra hard for one CW QSO, but after all it is a QSO party!
I heard a 4 calling CQ, just assumed Alabama, so came back with my call. I was
immediately in a QSO and learned his name, my RST, and his location (AL). Gave
him my info, then "NEED CTY FOR ALQP BK".  Instead of a county, I learned about
his rig, antenna, power, and weather.  No problem, same info back to him, then
"PLS, NEED UR COUNTY COUNTY FOR ALQP?" Big pause, then question mark, so I
slowed down and repeated the request. Finally got the county and the Q in the
log!

Thanks to the Alabama Contest Group for sponsoring the event and to all those
who participated.  Will look forward to next year!

73, Bob, w0bh