[3830] ARRL June VHF K7BG Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 16 01:16:05 EDT 2008

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K7BG
Operator(s): K7BG
Station: K7BG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: DN47 -- MT
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  213   103
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  228   113  Total Score = 25,764

Saturday was a bust. Thanks to Jim, NW7O/r for driving around to the surrounding
grids to keep me awake. It looked pretty bleak most of the day although auroral
sigs from VE and the NW started coming in a few hours into the contest, but
many went unworked due to my 50 watt half pint power. I did work VE5UF and
moved him to 2m for my first DX with the newly acquired IC271H. I then tuned up
the band and heard N0UD in ND calling CQ. I worked him and it was like working
rare DX for this new to weak signal 2m op. Probably the loudest signal of the
day on 6 was the S9 meteor scatter of K7RAT which lastest long enough for me to
get his report, but I don't know if Tree got mine.

Sunday was a different story with a super nuclear ionized patch to the SE of
here. I think I worked every station in DM79 on 6. I had the 2m rig on with the
squelch set and all of a sudden W5DDR popped through for some REAL 2m DX. That
was a real thrill for me. He was in and out for over half an hour and I worked
3 other stations around Albuquerque on 2. What fun!

Six finally started to die out and the last station I worked was NP4A before
going on a 10 mile bike ride with my 16 year old daughter. It was a beautiful
day for a father's day bike ride. We saw a dozen antelope, a badger and a dead
snake.

When we got back I worked CO2OJ and XE2K on 6. Then my other daughter came out
and we had a good dinner.

That about sums it up for this year. Not nearly as good as '06, but a lot of
fun and it's nice to see what 2 meters can do!

Rig--TS690 @ 50 watts
Ants--6 meters, (2) 5 el Cushcraft on seperate rotators/towers (both under 40
feet tall) fed with stackmatch beaming different directions most of the time. 2
meters, 10 element Lightning bolt quad at 34 feet.

Thanks for the fun,
Matt--K7BG