[3830] ARRL June VHF VE4EAR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 16 13:45:57 EDT 2008

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

    6:  18     15
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  18     15  Total Score = 270

I knew time was going to be limited this weekend. Saturday was our anniversary,
Sunday was my sons 18th birthday, father's day and our annual Marathon where I
do communications duty with the medical folks.

Managed to finish all my chores on Saturday before contest time rolled around.
I figured I would put a couple hours of 6m time in while the XYL was getting
ready for our night out. I had been getting email alerts all week about great
E's opneings during the day and evenings. Heck, Friday night I worked 30+
stations in an hour on 6m.

Contest time comes around and the band is dead! Nothing on 6 or 2. My entire
operating window for the day ended up yielding 0 QSO's.

Sunday I was away from the radio during the day and missed several openings
apparently. My couple of hours on Sunday evening were not very productive with
weak opening to South CA, UT and CO. Talked to one other VE4 and he had much
better luck.

Butt in the chair time would have helped but we didn't get the openings that
the folks south of us seemed to get. (What else is new!)

What is really frustrating is that during the week before the contest, I heard
folks work JA's HI3, KL7, KH6 and OX3. Not hearing the DX myself but hearing
stateside calls from every call area working DX. I was optimistic that we would
have had a repeat of 2006 where I managed over 300 Q's on 6m with the vertical.

Looking forward to CQWW VHF. I will be at a cabin and will try to put the semi
rare grid of EO20 on the air.

73

Ed
VE4EAR