[3830] ARRL June VHF N4CW/1 Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jun 19 09:36:55 EDT 2008

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: N4CW/1
Operator(s): N4CW
Station: N4CW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN53 (Maine)

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  175    89  Total Score = 15,575

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

In this corner of the US (Maine) it's a little harder to contest...few people
seem to expect to hear anything from this direction. What's fun is working
people despite that handicap. Six meters doesn't seem to be greatly affected,
but 2M, certainly! Also of particular interest is the big difference between HF
beams and VHF ones, in terms of beamwidth. You really have to focus on
direction...off the side just doesn't work!
I'll be improving my VHF/UHF setup in the coming years.
That 6M opening on Sunday was made-to-order...WJ9B's big signal lasted most of
the day here, and working N2IC was the cherry on top of the Sunday (pun
intended!).
For a small grid, FN53 was well represented with W1MU, KM1E, and K1GUN.
Oh, and the kicker was that my 6M transverter preamp was out of the picture for
the entire contest!
73, and thanks for the Q's...Bert N4CW/1