[3830] All Asian CW WA4PXP(@W7DXX) SOSB/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 22 15:32:16 EDT 2008

                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: WA4PXP
Operator(s): WA4PXP
Station: W7DXX

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: New Mexico

Total:  131    48  Total Score = 6,288

First; thank you to Keith W7DXX for the use of the Internet controlled station
in Las Cruces, New Mexico.  I have been operating contests using this station
for about 5 years.  When Keith was in Boston with a big Log Periodoc up 80 feet
it was just like old times operating in Florida with a big station.  Now that he
has moved to the South West we are a long way from Europe but a lot closer to
JA.  The antenna system in NM is an all band windom so its usually a lot of
S&P.

Usually when I operate in a contest it is for Dxing.  I try and work the rarest
stations I can find by S&Ping.  If I could figure out how to Skimmerize the
operation over the net I would.  So I am never trying to get high QSO totals.
I have been thinking about this test for about a week or so and decided that I
would do the usual; chase spots on all bands.  Friday night arrives and I am
ready but the bands  do not want to cooperate.  15 is dead and so is 20 I hear
only a very very weak JH4UYB on 20 at the noise leval.  What to do ? Go to 40.
Remember it is daylight in New Mexico until almost 03 Z so what do I hear with a
low windom from Asia ZIP I think I hear a EA8 calling CQ AA but even he is 229.
There a lots of KI4's calling CQ and that is about it.  So I QRT till about 0800
z.  I mention the KI4's because I am operating this test above 025 on the dial.
Never got around to upgrading after over 45 years of DXing and contesting.

So its up at about 4 am Eastern and I turn on the massive Dell Computer running
? into the RR connection.  40 sounds like it always does in New Mexico VERY
NOISY about S8 with QRN.  N6RO is down the band running JA so  Hey if he can do
it why not me??  He only has another 800 mile advantage and about 8 more
elements. I settle in on 7025.3 and start off with a CQ AA. The band opens up
and about 75 Ja's later its time to look forward to getting up early again
Sunday morning.  The station worked very well JA's  called in. I ran  and only
did a little S&P.  One or two frequency mishaps with some 8's and 5 calling
high speed CQ's looking for rag chews.  For the most part I just sat on 025.3
and ran.

There were some stations I heard but just could not get to reply.  DS5KJR,
6L0NJ/4, VR10UW, BU2AC and a B3 all were copiable but were working JA's and an
occassional W6.  All of these stations were around 7025 to 7028.  They were
much weaker than the JA's.

Back on Sunday at 08 Z or so and another 60 odd Ja's make it into the log plus
BA7IO for the big DX of the test.  BA5DX and BA7IO were loud but the noise in
China must be bad because it took some hard calling to get BA7IO into the log
and never could get BA5DX's attention.  Heard a UA0 for a few seconds and he
was gone.  Heard a loud 9M6XRO down the band but he never came up above  025
this test.  He and 9M2CNC usually hang out above 025 but not this test.

So there you have it.  I can not complain about condx on 40 because I worked a
bunch of Ja's.  Contesting using a remote radio via the Internet is slow, lots
of latency on the TX and RX. I know there were some more stations calling me
but sorry the desert SW is loaded with noise.  I am looking forward to better
conditions on the high bands the noise level is not as bad.

Jim
WA4PXP

whoops one last thought at about 13Z someone said " Jim, QTH?? "  I bet it was
one of my old time Florida friends wondering how I was running JA at 9:00 am in
the summer.