[3830] ARRL June VHF VE3WCC Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 23 08:40:31 EDT 2008

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: VE3WCC
Operator(s): VO1NO/VE3, VA3KA, VE3XK, VA3BGB, VE3NVK, VA3CDD, JEREMY N0CALL
Station: VE3WCC

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: FN04xa

  903:   10     7
  1.2:   19     9
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:    7     2
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  447   141  Total Score = 86,151

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This was a grid expedition to FN04 by members of the West Carleton ARC of
Ottawa.  We thought we had found the perfect secret operating location until we
approached the farmer who owned the property.  "You guys want to set up your
radios on top of the hill?" he asked before we even had the opportunity to
mention that we were Hams!  Turns out that the site was very well known to
rovers, about 6 of whom visited during the weekend.

We put up 3 towers, with boomers on all bands from 50 to 1296 MHz.  We also had
a 10 GHz station thanks to the generosity of Ray VE3FN.  We had some problems
with the 903 MHz station, but were able to substitute another rig with the
arrival of Dean VA3CDD for the overnight shift.  The stations were set up in a
10-foot cargo trailer, with power provided by a 3 KW generator.  An assortment
of tents completed the setup.

The location was very nice, both from a picturesque point of view, and in terms
of line of sight.  Six meters provided a consistent QSO rate - we never had a
"big opening", but the sporadic E was enough that the band was rarely ever
dead.  Unfortunately, the meteor scatter skeds on 6 and 2 using WSJT overnight
were a bust.  We didn't even hear any pings.  Did we have equipment problems,
or was that the experience of others?

We dodged bad weather most of the weekend, but finally had to shut down with 2
hours 45 minutes left in the contest when a severe electrical storm moved in.
The good news - we're looking forward to going back next year!

73
Al
VO1NO / VE3