[3830] ARRLDX SSB VO1HE SOSB/20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 2 15:19:49 EST 2008

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VO1HE
Operator(s): VO1HE
Station: VO1HE

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: The Rock

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:    0     0
   20:  733    76
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  733    76  Total Score = 166,668

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

I was still trying to decide what band to work right up until the contest
started. I was thinking 40M but I really don't like 40 for phone so, after
having a listen around, I switched to 20M and stuck with it. I made 1 contact
the first evening although there were lots of big signals from South and
Central America. They had better propagation to the mid-west I guess.

Got up early the next morning and found 20M completely empty of any signals so
I went for breakfast., After that, I came back and started in. I got a decent
run going low on 20 and had a pretty good result.

The band died early so I figured I'd get up and make a go of it in the morning
again. Started in for a run and, after a few hours, the antenna started showing
high SWR. 60kph wind and heavy wet snow didn't help. I packed it in at that
point and cranked the tower down when the wind died down. It seems to be
working fine now. I have to tighten the mast plate clamps this week so I hope
it gets a bit warmer.

Anyway, the band was terrible. Heavy QSB and lots of noise created a very hard
working condition. Many KW stations were just above the noise and many of the
100W or less stations were booming. Go figure.

In the CW contest I worked a load of KW stations and most of what I worked in
this one were 100W or so.

Anyway, not as good as I hoped but better than I expected as I didn't think I
was going to have the time for it. Better luck next time.

Thanks for the Qs.

73 -- Paul VO1HE