[3830] ARRLDX SSB KH6LC(N6GQ) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 2 20:48:37 EST 2008

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KH6LC
Operator(s): N6GQ
Station: KH6LC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: HI
Operating Time (hrs):

   20: 1627    55
   15: 1238    53
Total: 4362   247  Total Score = 3,232,242

First, great thanks to Lloyd, KH6LC, for allowing me to use his super FB station
in Paradise!

I used my new Elecraft K3 for the first half of the contest and absolutely love
it. It's what a contest radio should be.

Given conditions, rates were never that fantastic, a few periods of higher
rates but they weren't sustainable. My best 60 minute rate was 272, with
numerous 10 minute rates of 375+/HR but it just wouldn't hold. It seemed like
there just weren't that many people on the bands.

I had hoped the sunspot that appeared earlier in the week would have helped
conditions, but even at this time of the cycle, the low bands were poor. I
didn't hear much at all the first night on 160M, and the second night was
extremely noisy, so I slept instead! A 2 element yagi on 75M worked well once
the band opened but again, just not that many people on the band. 40M didn't
produce like I had hoped either (probably because I didn't spend too much time
there), and 10M actually opened both days!

A big mahalo to everyone who worked me in the contest and especially to the few
6-banders. It was grueling but definitely fun!

73,

Jeff, N6GQ @ KH6LC