[3830] ARRLDX SSB K7KR SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 2 23:15:27 EST 2008

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K7KR
Operator(s): K7KR
Station: K7KR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  298   109  Total Score = 97,446

Club: Central Arizona DX Association

Comments:

I've been off the air for the last 5 months or so.  I started a two week shack
remodel that turned into a project from you know where.  Note to self.  Forget
it next time you get the bright idea of ripping out all the shack wiring and
starting afresh.  Guess I'll have to file a delay claim against myself, hi hi.
Anyway, I was looking forward to getting on for this one even though some needed
antenna work remains.

Soon after the contest started, my logging computer decided to spontaneously
reboot.  After it happened again, it was clear that a trip to the junque box
was in order.  After a liberal application of ferrites the computer settled
down.

Kept wondering where the Europeans were though.  I finally heard one of the 9A
super stations that is normally S9 or better.  Unfortunately, it was necessary
to snorkel under the noise surface to snag him.  Knew right then that it was
going to be a long weekend.  Very few EU and AF stations were even heard let
alone made it into the log.  Condx to JA seemed pretty good, but a persistent
power line arc on my western side meant that anyone heard had to  be at least
S9 or better.  Obviously didn't bother trying to start any runs as I'd have
just been an alligator.

On the plus side, there were huge numbers of SA to be worked and they were
astonishingly loud often with very modest power.  It was also nice to hear lots
of VK/ZL stations on 40m.  Even heard some mini pileups on Midwest and East
coast stations, but they often didn't hear them call.  Evidently the US
stations were  beaming JA so they couldn't hear the VK's.  Also 10m began to
show some life too with many loud stations running low power.  Now that the
sunspots are on the upswing things will only get better!

Thanks to all for the Q's.  Still a lot of fun in spite of the conditions!