[3830] ARRLDX SSB W1UE(@W1KM) M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 3 07:05:23 EST 2008

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W1UE
Operator(s): W1UE
Station: W1KM

Class: M/M HP
QTH: MA

   20: 1293   111
Total: 2361   377  Total Score = 2,670,291

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

First, the good news:  we actually made it through both the SSB and CW weekends
without having a linear or a radio fail!  We actually worked the entire SSB
contest and had all 5 networked computers agree on the final score when the
contest ended!

Now, for the bad news: it was a phone contest, and I didn't think conditions
could get any worse than the ARRL DX CW weekend.  Let me be the first to say
that I was wrong- conditions can't get any worse than this past weekend.

Band by Band Breakdown:
160M- W1UE Sat, K1XM Sun.  Worked a grand total of 68 Europeans.  Never did
work OK or YU.  160M propagation this weekend was as bad as I've ever heard
it.
80M- KT1D, Tim did a great job working whatever he could hear.  At times, the
MUF seemed to even drop below this band.
40M- W1NR did the tough sledding.  33% of the QSOs were made between the
2000/2100Z hours each day- the rest of the time was endless CQs.
20M- W1FJ Sat, W1UE Sun.  Never made a 100 hour.  JAs made it thru for about an
hour each day.  Band never seemed to really open.  Since this was the only
daytime band open to Europe, the QRM was endles.
15M- K1XM.  Paul worked the band for all it was worth.  He vacuumed it from end
to end, then did it again.  The 23 Europeans he worked were all hard earned.
10M- Everyone chipped in.  Signals would pop out of the noise for 5 minutes
then disappear, never to be heard from again.

Congrats to HI3C, TI50DX, VP5H, and HC8A, our only 6-band QSO stations.  Thanks
to everyone for all the QSOs, and for sticking it out through the terrible
conditions.
See you in the next one!

Dennis W1UE