[3830] ARRLDX SSB NT4D M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 3 19:38:11 EST 2008

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: NT4D
Operator(s): NT4D, W4KAZ
Station: NT4D

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NC

Total:  592   236  Total Score = 418,428

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Short 1/3 of our operators and short 1/3 of our QSO's from 2007.  NT4Q wisely
scheduled a vacation rather than operate the bottom of the cycle DX contest.

NT4D pulled the sled for most of this years' effort.  Jay was able to round
up a good supply of QSO's by Saturday morning, but we were unable to add much
to that start.  Mostly lack of effort due to the poor conditions.  Running on
20m was very difficult, with propagation to EU seeming to be very poor.  The
final numbers bear that conclusion out, as only 40 percent of our Q's were from
EU.  It was a North/South event for us this year. S&P rates were better than run
rates.

It turns out the weekends' alternate radio activity, helping hoist another yagi

at N1LN, was far more productive.  After being postponed due to high winds on
Saturday, the Sunday antenna hoist at 'LN went well, despite the sighting of an
angry buzzing flock of errant cable ties.   N1LN reports cherry picking a few
choice Pacific DX with his new toy, and that it "is working".

The "bonehead" moment of the contest is, as expected, chalked up to W4KAZ.
While S&P'ing merrily along back at NT4D, 'KAZ clicks on a spot, hears a relay
flip, and immediately realizes that the rig is no longer transmitting.  As
panic quickly sets in, 'KAZ is unable to determine the cause of the problem.
NT4D, after being rudely summoned by said lid W4KAZ, steps into the room.
Laughter issues forth from NT4D almost immediately.

Not exactly the response he was expecting, 'KAZ scratches his head, still
perplexed.  NT4D then enlightens the concerned lid, to the effect: "Hey, if you
work any CB'rs or truckers, they don't count!  You must have clicked a bad
spot!"  It turns out QSX on the 20m spot was somewhere around channel 19, thus
the lack of xmit.  Duh-OH!

Hey, a cheap lesson.  CHECK the packet spots!!!!

The lesson admittedly served me well for the rest of the contest, especially
the spots for splits down on 40m.  Since I don't use packet spots at home,
it is something I needed to be schooled on anyway.  I was being
careful to copy the call, but had been less careful otherwise.

Apologies to the DX who were trying to call in on my short 20m runs.  Many
called that I could not work, so I went back to S&P.

73 de W4KAZ