[3830] WPX SSB KH7B(K4XS) SOSB20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 31 03:16:25 EDT 2008

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KH7B
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: KH7XS

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH: KH6

   20: 3509

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Wow, outstanding, great etc!  Although the K and the A index were high
conditions out in KH6 were really great.

This was the first contest with all the KT36XAs rotating and I just finished
getting the last rotor up and working a day before the contest. I really didn't
know what the propogation would be like since the antennas had been fixed more
or less to the mainland since I put them up.

The contest started with a bang and by 0200Z I had around 500 QSOs.  Around
sunset the first night the fun began with strong Asians and some Europeans and
Mideast coming through.

Saturday began with huge piles of W's and VEs with a smattering of VK/ZL and an
occasional Oceanic goodie.  By the sunset I had attained my goal of breaking the
Oceanic record of 6.5M.  Then the fun began again.  As others have noted,
conditions on Saturday night were great.  Many Asians and lots of Europeans
were logged on their respective sunrises as well as the usual bundles of JAs
and I worked them until 11:30 PM local time

Sunday morning began with runs of W/K, and then a BIG opening into Europe which
lasted for about two hours. There was only one hour that really stunk...around
1900 or 2000 the second day.  Signals really got really weak and there was a
huge hiss across the whole band, resulting in about a 35 hour.

Having the W/K stations count for three points is a big change for me after
suffering through one pointers for years.  I like it!

One interesting note....an XU7 must have been spotted above me since I heard
this huge racket up around 14229 while I was on 14226.  How do I know it was an
XU7?  Several stations called me blindly thinking I was the XU7. Ah, the joys of
the spotting clusters!

A big mahalo for all the spots and the QSOs.  See you in the FQP!

Bill K4XS/KH7XS