[3830] WPX SSB OL7R M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 31 07:34:39 EDT 2008

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: OL7R
Operator(s): OK1VWK,OK1DSZ,OK1WMV,OK3RM,OK1NP,OK6MA
Station: OL7R

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: JN69ms

   80: 1186
   40: 1070
   20: 1092

Our first serious effort in M/2. Its decision based on our current local
conditions and hardware possibilities. The core team was me, Vendy OK1WMV and
Ian OK1NP. We prepared some special antenna projects for 40 and 15m band during
Friday. Our next coleagues arrived as soon as they could.

The contest was without fatal errors, but Mr. Murphy visited us again. We lost
time on 20m thanks to bad relay switch in our PPA. It was able to do only TX
but no RX. The next problem was in different date in one computer (problem with
RTC and old backup BIOS batery in PC mainboard). Win-test logger generated data
integrity corruption immediately after Ethernet network connection to this
computer in our LAN. We had to extract cabrillo from corrupted data file and
hand-edit right contest date. After this procedure we had to import new
cabrillo back to each WT work station. This problem started for last 3 hours
when we finished in contest effort on 80 and 40m band.

The propagation conditions were in compilance with current solar cycle. We
desided to ignore 10m band because of sharing workplaces and also weak activity
monitored before contest. On 15m we have a few contats to NA arround 17:00z both
days. Propably it was trough equatorial path. Our antena was to SW direction. No
signal directly to NA. Also some back scatter to EU was monitored in the same
direction. The main activity on 15 was from SA and AF. No reall openning to NA
on 40m specially first contest day. It was terrible.

Equipment:

Workplace 1(80/15):
FT1000MP
PPAs 2x3-500Z and for second period on 15m band also driver 4xGU50(LS50) with
PPA RE400( glass tube similar to 4-400)to second direction.
Ant 80m: dipole at 24m and K9AY loops (+BPF and LNA)
Ant 15m: 6el at 25m, 5el at 15m, 3el in vertical polarization at 15m, 1/4wl
vertical with elevated radials at 7m

Workplace 2(40m):
FT1000MP
PPAs Alpha 91b and AL800HX
Ant 40m: 4el at 23m, 1/4wl vertical on the ground.

Workplace 3(20m)
FT1000MP
PPAs homemade 2xSRS457 and 2xRE400, PPPA 4xGU50(LS50)
Ant 20m: 5el at 20m, 4el at 15, crossed dipoles with circular polarization at
7m

Radios on workplace nr. 2 and 3 included Inrad roofing filter with W2AJI LNA
gain modification. For 160m we shared radio and PPA from workplace 2. Antenna
was 1/4wl sloper. No RX antenna on this band and this contest.

Anyway we had lot of fun and good beer from Pilsen. Our friends OK1IC, OK1RW
and OK1GTH visited us for the second contest period.

Thanks to all who called and see you in WPX CW 2008 ...

73 de Milan, OK1VWK on behalf of OL7R HF contest team
http://www.ol7r.net/