[3830] 7QP KA3DRR SOCW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 4 10:59:40 EDT 2008

                    7th Area QSO Party

Call: KA3DRR
Operator(s): KA3DRR
Station: KA3DRR

Class: SOCW LP
QTH: CA

  160:    0     0
   80:    4     0
   40:   42     0
   20:   16     0
   15:    1     0
   10:    0     0
    6:    0     0
    2:    0     0
--------------------
Total:   64     0  Mults = 34  Total Score = 6,426

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Started on 40M the first hour searching and pouncing (SP) through the morning. I
maintained a good rate before moving to 20M for the afternoon. Conditions on the
high band plummeted as expected given the position of the solar cycle. Twenty
meters produced 16 QSOs with QSB throughout the afternoon. I checked 15M almost
on the hour but conditions didn't favor the game. However I managed one QSO
(15M) in the thick of noise and significant fading. The high bands were not
stable. I dug deep into my headphones for a few QSOs (20M) and kudos to those
operators who pulled out my signal on this band.

The challenge of current conditions continue to improve my listening skill. I
called CQ and managed a few runs no greater than two-minutes, respectively.

In contrast, 40M was the 'game' and I had a lot of ham radio fun both in the
morning and just before sunset as well. A few stations from Arizona and Nevada
rocked my s-meter in the evening. Eighty meters was noisey two hours after
sunset but reducing the RF gain made a big difference in copy. This technique
(reduce RF gain) benefited my SP game throughout the day.

Overall, I flat out had a good time operating in 7QP mega-state contest and
harvested a host of new counties along the way. Thank you goes out to the
sponsors of this stellar event. Contest on.

73,
Scot KA3DRR