[3830] 7QP K7BG/M MobileMixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue May 6 00:43:56 EDT 2008

                    7th Area QSO Party

Call: K7BG/M
Operator(s): K7BG
Station: K7BG/M

Class: MobileMixed LP
QTH: MT
Operating Time (hrs):

--------------------

(Above numbers are approx and do not include multiples for county line Qs.)

It’s Monday and I just got back from running back up to Pondera County,
Montana, where I handed out county number 3077 to Jim, VA6JR. It  was the last
county he needed to have them all. I told him before 7QP that I would be up
there, but he never found me.

Started the contest on the Teton/Pondera County line and after a few hours I
headed back south to go to my daughter’s track meet. I never did make it back
north again so in total I only operated from 4 counties this year. I drive 1000
miles a week for a living and I just couldn’t muster the gumption to make it
happen. Ended up on the Teton/Chouteau/Cascade county line confluence (10 miles
from the home QTH) for the next 5 or 6 hours. Had a blast watching the
meadowlarks and the hawks and other various wildlife literally out in the
middle of nowhere. In all the time I was there, 3 vehicles came down the road.
One of them was a friend who introduced me to her 4 year old granddaughter. A
little after sunset I figured I’d head home so I drove into Cascade county
still calling CQ 7QP in cw. I had the rate meter up to 123 at one point driving
down the dirt road. I DON’T recommend this to those in urban areas. Was amazed
to be called by SM5IMO on 40m as I was driving home. Gotta love it. Only other
Europe all day was always faithful DL5AWI worked earlier in the day on 20.
After pulling into the yard I worked stations for another few hours from the
mobile, but after 40 got squishy, I packed it in cuz I couldn’t get the
antenna tuned up on 80 in the dark.

Had a blast as usual. I’ll be on from more counties next year possibly. Gas
should be back to 49 cents a gallon by then?? Now if I can figure out why I
can’t dump the log from my old 1993 Gateway notebook onto my main computer.
For some reason the two computers can’t see each other using interlink.exe.
It worked the last two years!? Something croaked. Time to move into this
century? NAH!

K7BG/m – Matt

Rig TS690(100w)  to Texas Bugcatcher