[3830] 7QP W0BH SOMixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue May 6 12:00:59 EDT 2008

                    7th Area QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: SOMixed HP
QTH: KS

  160:
   80:   36     48
   15:   21      4
--------------------

The 7QP has turned into a truly enjoyable operating event for me with its non-
stop action and the fun of mixing the NEQP, INQP, and MARAC all into one log
file. Once again on Saturday, there wasn't a time of day that I couldn't work
7-land.

I started on 40m and quickly found K4XU/m with a good signal back to Kansas ..
a good sign. An hour later, 20m came alive with 7s, but some really annoying
static made 20m SSB hard work most of the day for the weaker signals. We have a
washing machine that is really RF noisy on 20m, so at first I thought the static
was coming from there. I have learned (!) that one doesn't complain about wash
being done, so the machine was active for awhile but the static remained. I
also spent more time on CW this year and was pleasantly surprised at the
participation.

In mid-afternoon, a 15m opening appeared and a few Qs found their way into my
log. I moved a number of 20m contacts to 15m, but had less success moving SSB
to CW or CW to SSB this year because "I'm working the SSB-only (or the CW-only
only) category." Thanks to those of you who realized you can still make the
contact, you just don't have to count it.

Once the NEQP began, I started getting calls off the back of the beam, but I
kept the beam heading west because of the weak signals. When I went to 40m, I
used the vertical and for a magical hour and a half, was able to work all the
parties at once with armchair copy signals. Really fun! Things slowed way down
after the NEQP quit for the day, but just when I found myself nodding off, 80m
came alive and my last hour made sleep deprivation an acceptable option.

Last year I worked 153 counties, this year 146 with 365 unique calls. It's
interesting to compare the number of counties I worked in each state by year,
so here's a quick summary.

    07  08
----------
AZ  14  14 - missed only SCZ both years
ID  16  15
MT  24  21
NV   8   4 - ouch
OR  34  33
UT  19  20
WA  31  26 - perhaps less mobile particiapation in WA this year?
WY   7  13 - big thanks to the mobiles for this one!

Thanks to all for the Q's .. here are the top producers (not dupe-checked):

13 K7BG/m
10 K4XU/m K7EAR
6  AD7KG K7L KD0S/m KE7SFW KF7P N7LE W7SE/m
5  K7XV K7ZSD N7D NG7Z NN7ZZ W7QN W7RN W8UE/m

In addition to the mobiles listed above, thanks to the other mobiles worked.
I'm doing this rather quickly, so if I missed anyone, I apologize:

K7UT/m KS5A/m W7UT/m N7VS/m KT7G/m AD7BK/m W6RA/m W7MEX/m

I really do appreciate the work that goes into putting an event like this
together. Special thanks to the CODXC and all those behind the scenes who made
the 3rd running of the 7QP a success.

73, Bob, w0bh